A specialist agricultural irrigation company with its headquarters in Grabouw in South Africa’s Western Cape and bases in Namibia and Angola has an opportunity for a suitably qualified and experienced automation technician.
The role will focus on commissioning and installing electrical, automation and communication equipment that forms part of agricultural irrigation systems, including maintenance and fault finding.
More specific tasks and functions:
- New installations and upgrades to existing systems
- Decommissioning old systems and making the site safe
- Installing and maintaining communication systems
- Fault finding and troubleshooting on systems
- Accurate reporting on faults repaired
- Maintenance of systems
- Building electrical panels at stores
- Taking care of tools and vehicles used, including checklists
- Ensuring that legal standards are met on all work executed
- Acting as a point of contact on sites, when applicable
- Handing in job cards
- Taking responsibility for material booked out for maintenance or a new installation
- Related administrative work
The role calls for a reliable and self-motivated person with good communication skills who is solution-orientated, able to troubleshoot and appropriately health and safety conscious.
- Matric plus relevant electrical trade training (e.g. N3, Elconop 1/2/3, diploma in mechatronics)
- Experience at an electrical business, working with single-phase and three-phase electrical motors and starters
- Understanding of electrical control systems, including VSDs, PLCs and irrigation controllers
- Literacy in electrical drawings and knowledge of legal electrical standards
- General understanding of irrigation systems and components
- Ability to work safely and competently with power tools
- Exposure to electrical fault finding and diagnostics
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in English and preferably Afrikaans as well
- Physically fit and able to work hands-on in field conditions
- Driver’s licence
A market-related remuneration package will be offered, linked to the appointed candidate’s qualifications and experience.